Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Two on Tuesdays...Vivid Lands

Who: David Hockney
What: Paintings, Prints, Photography, Photocollage, iPad Drawings
Where: Bridlington, Yorkshire and Kensington, London, UK
Web: http://www.hockneypictures.com/
Why: Usually I try to focus on artists that are underdogs, up-and-comers and rising stars...I really enjoy sharing new talent. Today however, an article on David Hockney caught my eye, featuring his heartfelt opinion on the nature of original art done by the artist vs art completed by an artist's team of assistants. Long one of my favorite artists, not just for his extraordinary artwork, but also for his philanthropic accomplishments, Hockney champions the integrity of the individual artist in the face of more commercial art producers and assembly-line art...
"It's a little insulting to craftsmen," he said. "I used to point out, at art school you can teach the craft; it's the poetry you can't teach. But now they try to teach the poetry and not the craft." He quoted a Chinese proverb that to be a painter "you need the eye, the hand and the heart. Two won't do." (Source: The Guardian)
He's an indie artist's hero, in my humble opinion.

Who: Nick Wroblewski
What: Hand-cut Woodblock Prints
Where: Viroqua, WI
Web: http://www.nickwroblewski.com/index.html
Why: Another of my long-time favorite artists, Nick's prints never cease to capture my eye and soul. Themes based in nature include soaring birds, shimmering birches and soul-striking landscapes in a style reminiscent of master Japanese woodblock prints. They impart a sense of awe and serenity that bring me pure, simple happiness.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home